Chemical peels are used to treat various forms of acne. Most commonly alpha or beta-hydroxy acids are used. Chemical peels for acne work best in combination with topical treatments, tablets and a skin care regime to optimise the improvement of acne.
Our team at the Acne Specialist Clinics can tailor a chemical peel program based upon your acne and skin type to help improve your complexion and texture.
Acne assessments and an acne chemical peel starts at $98! No referrals are needed to enter the Acne Solutions Clinic.
Specialist perspective on chemical peels for acne
Salicylic acid and glycolic acid peels are an excellent and integral part of the combination approach towards treating acne. I often use it fortnightly in combination with home creams and antibiotic tablets for milder acne, or as a one-off pre-isotretinoin treatment. For mild to moderate acne or for patients not suitable for isotretinoin, the Clear Skin Program, which combines chemical peels with LED red light treatment can give another avenue for significant improvement with minimal down-time. Our Specialist Nurses can assess your suitability of chemical peels, and will tailor a individual peel program based upon your skin type and acne.
Chemical peels work in 3 ways to help improve acne -
- Exfoliate the skin surface
- Reduce inflammation
- Decrease counts of bacteria involved in acne, Propionibacterium acnes
- Comadonal acne (“black-heads” and “white-heads”).
- Inflammatory (pimples and cysts) – salicylic acid peels are particularly useful in this setting.
4 chemical peels combined with Vitamin A creams. Dr Davin S. Lim
Chemical peels can be extremely effective for treating blackheads, 3 peels. Dr Davin S. Lim
- At your consultation, your dermatologist will prescribe a customised programme with the appropriate agent and concentration of peel for your skin type and sensitivity.
- A specialist nurse will remove your make up and prepare your face with acetone for the chemical peel.
- The agent is applied to the skin with a gauze applicator.
- If glycolic acid is used, it is neutralised on the skin by the application of water.
- Salicylic acid or tretinoin peels do not need to be neutralised.
- The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Mild discomfort in the form of tingling or burning – generally tolerated very well and subsides rapidly once peel ends.
- Redness/swelling – typically less then 12 hours, sometimes slightly longer.
- Peeling – usually gentle flaking for a few days after the peel. Your dermatologist will recommend the right moisturiser to reduce this.
- Pigment changes – especially for darker skin types, your dermatologist may put you on a fading agent and recommend lower concentration peels to reduce this risk.
- Scarring – extremely small risk when done properly, under specialist care with superficial peels – picking scabs may however result in this.
- Superficial chemical peels performed for acne do not incur any “down-time”
- Patients can return to work or school the next day.
- Sun avoidance is important, especially for the first few days after the peel, but cautious return with hat and sunscreen is often sufficient.
- Chemical peels are repeated every 2-3 weeks.
We are a clinic run by specialist dermatologists, with a subspecialty interest and experience in acne. We can prescribe the full range of creams, peels, tablets and laser/light treatments that general cosmetic clinics are unable to. At our centre, you will receive the highest level of experience and technology available in Australia.
The alpha/beta-hydroxy acid peels used for acne will provide some improvement for mild acne scarring. For more severe scarring, once your acne has been cured by your dermatologists, stronger TCA peels and TCA CROSS procedures can be utilized with excellent results, based on scar and skin type.
In the majority of cases your specialist dermatologist will also prescribe you a Vitamin A cream in conjunction with your peel program. This cream, in conjunction with chemical peels, is designed to help prevent acne and blackheads.
If your acne is severe, we may prescribe you a short course of antibiotics or anti-hormone treatments (in females).
This 8 weeks combination program combines the latest in phototherapy and chemical peels and forms the basis of the Clear Skin Program for acne. This program is suited for mild to moderate cases of acne.
Ideal candidates for this program include whitehead and blackhead acne, and patients with very mild, early scarring. Patients can book directly into this program without assessment by a Specialist
Call 07 3871 34 37 to discuss appointment times.
- $95 per standard peel, repeated every 2-3 weeks (2-5 peels generally recommended).
- As part of the Clear Skin Programme (4 peels and 4 LED light treatments over 8 weeks) - $690 * Current special of $590
- Assessment and acne free program prescribed by Specialist Dermatologist $198 (This is not required as a pre-requisite for chemical peels)
You do not need to see a dermatologist to enter our chemical peel program for acne. All chemical peels (apart from TCA peels) are conducted by our Specialist Nurses.
Call Westside Dermatology’s Acne Specialist Clinic on 07 3871 34 37 to make a booking or ask about chemical peels.
A great starting point is to have your acne assessed and managed thru our Acne Solutions Clinic.